North and Northwest Texas Tour - Plains, Panhandle, and Desert:
Parker, Mesquite, Fort Worth, Amarillo, Canyon, Dumas, Dalhart, and Lubbock
9 Days, 8 Nights
Usually from a Saturday to the Second Sunday
Our North and Northwest Texas Tour - Plains, Panhandle, and Desert is a great twin tour to our West Texas Tour- Desert and Mountains. However, it is more passive. We offer the North and Northwest Texas Tour only during the spring and summer when the weather is more hospitable. We spend 2 days in Fort Worth, visiting the world famous Amon Carter Museum and Fort Worth Stockyards and move onto the historic sites and museums of the Texas one sees in the movies. We spend 2.3 days in the Amarillo and Canyon area for touring and attending during the summer the musical “Texas” in the basin of the Palo Duro Canyon. This includes a chuckwagon steak dinner and musical performances before the award-winning musical begins at twilight. Palo Duro is the second largest canyon in the US and is sometimes referred to as the Grand Canyon of Texas. We go through the Red River area of the last Texas Indian battles of the 1870s. We travel almost to the border of Oklahoma to visit the legacy of what was the largest ranch in Texas and the last Indian battles were fought and then start to return through the desert and sand dunes. If you like this tour and want more active participation, look at our Big Bend National Park and West Texas tour.
The North and Northwest Texas Tour tour covers over 1,500 miles/2,414 kilometers. This also covers several cities and sites. We have several tours and admissions to pay third party vendors whom we will need to contact to find out the latest prices. Thus, the pricing will need to be calculated. Allow one week for any quotes. Unless stated, all meals are separate.
- Depart from Houston at 8:00 AM on day 1.
- Drive approximately 266 miles/428 kilometers to Parker on day 1.
- Arrive by 12:30 PM for lunch and to tour the Southfork Ranch, used as the setting for the TV show “Dallas” on day 1.
- Drive to Dallas to check into a hotel, relax, and approximately 22.7 miles/36.5 kilometers to attend the Mesquite Championship Rodeo at 6:30 PM on day 1.
- Spend the first night in Dallas.
- Depart Dallas at 10:00 AM.
- Drive approximately 45.4 miles/73.1 kilometers to Fort Worth on day 2.
- Arrive by 11:00 PM in Fort Worth on day 2.
- Have lunch and visit the western American art at the Amon Carter Museum on day 2.
- Dinner at Joe T. Garcia’s Restaurant on day 2.
- Visit the Fort Worth Stockyards and surrounding areas, including the Stockyards Museum, the Cowtown Cattlepen Maze, Cowtown Coliseum, the Stockyards Station, the Texas Cowboy Hall of Fame, a cattle drive also known as the Fort Worth Herd at 11:30 AM and 4:00 PM, the Texas Trail of Fame, the Fort Worth Stockyards Stables, Grapevine Vintage Railroad, the Texas Rodeo Cowboy Hall of Fame, Jersey Lilly Old Time Photo Parlor, and Billy Bob’s Texas - the biggest honky tonk in the world on day 3.
- Depart from Fort Worth by 9:00 AM on day 4.
- Drive approximately 118 miles/190 kilometers to Wichita Falls on day 4.
- Lunch between 11:00 AM to 12:30 PM at Wichita Falls for lunch on day 4.
- Drive approximately 225 miles/362 kilometers to Amarillo on day 4.
- Arrive by 4:30 PM in Amarillo on day 4.
- Check in at the hotel and go to Canyon, Texas to have a chuckwagon steak dinner and watch “Texas” on day 4.
- Go to the Cadillac Ranch, the Amarillo Museum of Art, and tour the Panhandle-Plains Historical Museum in Canyon. Have lunch at The Big Texan Steak Ranch on day 5.
- Optional day to either hike in Palo Duro Canyon or go to the Amarillo Botanical Gardens, Amarillo Zoo, and the American Quarter Horse Hall of Fame Museum, or relax at the hotel on day 6.
- Depart Amarillo at 9:00 AM on day 7.
- Drive approximately 45.6 miles/73.4 kilometers to Dumas on day 7.
- Arrive by 10:00 AM to tour the Window on the Plains Museum and have lunch in Dumas on day 7.
- Depart Dumas by 1:00 PM on day 7.
- Drive approximately 40.1 miles/64.5 kilometers to Dalhart on day 7.
- Arrive in Dalhart by 1:45 PM on day 7.
- Tour the XIT Historical Museum on day 7.
- Depart Dalhart at 5:00 PM on day 7.
- Drive approximately 209 miles/336 kilometers to Lubbock on day 7.
- Arrive in Lubbock at 8:30 PM for dinner and the night on day 7.
- Visit and/or tour the American Museum of Agriculture, the American Wind Power Center, the Buddy Holly Center, the Buddy Holly Statue and West Texas Walk of Fame, Texas Tech University, and the National Ranching Heritage Center on day 8.
- Depart Lubbock at 9:00 AM on day 9.
- Drive approximately 163 miles/262 kilometers to Abilene for lunch on day 9.
- Lunch in Abilene between 12:00 - 1:30 PM on day 9.
- Depart Abilene at 1:30 PM on day 9.
- Drive approximately 351 miles/565 kilometers to Houston on day 9.
- Arrive in Houston by 8:00 PM on day 9.
- 1 night in Dallas, Texas.
- 1 night in Fort Worth, Texas
- 3 nights in Amarillo, Texas.
- 2 nights in Lubbock, Texas.
Breakfast is included each day in Dallas and Amarillo.
Dinner is included each day in Amarillo.
Inquire for prices when making reservations.