This tour is a partial biography of Selena Quintanilla Perez (April 16, 1971 to March 31, 1995). Selena was born in Lake Jackson, Texas, but moved to Corpus Christi in 1980. Corpus would be her home for the remainder of her life. The tour starts in Houston where we drive by the Astrodome, the eighth wonder of the world and site of where Selena gave her last concert. She performed there for the Houston Rodeo in 1993, 1994, and on February 26, 1995, setting attendance records each time. We then move onto Corpus Christi. Selena is considered the greatest Tejana singer of all time. Considering that she was murdered at the age of 23, this is high praise. The shock of her untimely death had a profound effect on a generation of young people of all ethnic backgrounds, much as when President Kennedy, John Lennon, and Princess Diana were killed.
This tour is twelve hours, from 6:30 AM to 6:30 PM. We will arrive there at about 10:00 AM. The drive is approximately 211 miles/340 kilometers each way. For the day, we will be driving about 500 miles/800 kilometers. We will be in Corpus Christi for approximately five hours from about 10:00 AM to 3:00 PM when we begin our return trip to Houston.
The tour in Corpus Christi will include:
- Selena’s gravesite.
- Swanter Park where the “Washing machine” scenes from “Selena – the Movie” were filmed here.
- The site of the former Memorial Coliseum where she recorded a concert Live!, in 1993. It won a Grammy award in 1994.
- Your choice of lunch at either:
- Whataburger Restaurant – One of Selena’s favorite restaurants.
- Olive Garden Restaurant – This was Selena’s favorite restaurant.
- The Hi-Ho Restaurant – This was Selena's favorite Mexican restaurant.
- The South Texas Music Walk of Fame to see Selena’s star in the ground.
- The 5’ 8” life-size Selena memorial statue.
- The Nueces County Clerk office where Chris Perez and Selena Quintanilla married.
- The Bayfront Plaza Convention Center where her casket laid in state for the public to view.
- Corpus Christi Museum of Science and History has an exhibit honoring Selena as the “The Queen of Tejano Music.” It is normally closed on Monday and opens on Sunday at 12:00 PM.
- The former Selena Etc. Inc. Boutique & Salon (now a State Farm office).
- The Days Inn, now Knights Inn, motel where Yolanda Salvidar murdered Selena.
- The Selena Museum – Q Productions – See her outfits, awards, writings, and recording studio. Closed on Sunday and Saturday.
- West Oso Junior High School where Selena attended before her father removed her from school.
- The house where she lived with her husband Chris Perez.
- Her home as a child with her parents Abraham and Marcella Quintanilla.
The price of the tour includes the admissions at the Selena Museum and the Corpus Christi Museum of Science and History. Your only other expenses will be lunch and any souvenirs that you purchase.
We can play Selena’s greatest hits and or the movie Selena starring Jennifer Lopez on the way to and from Corpus Christi.